The Black Silk Path
The Black Silk Path and Totally RAD Phonics Level C: Ed and Mel's Exploration of Fluency and Syntax–A Companion to The Black Silk Path
- 14 shared reading chapters
- 15 reading games
- Notes on which concepts are added to each chapter
- Notes on which Barton Level 3 lesson corresponds to the chapter.
- Note of any variation from the Barton Level 3 scope and sequence, which is about a half of one percent of the student text.
- Approximately 3200 words in the student text passages.
Keep scrolling down to see part of Chapter 1 with the Kindle preview.
- Chapter 1: Closed syllable (CVC and VC), plus digraphs (ck, sh, ch, wh, th), double l at the end, and blends at the end (CVCC).
- Chapter 2: Two-letter blends at the beginning of words
- Chapter 3: Two-letter blends at the beginning and the end of words
- Chapter 4: Three letter blends and digraph blends
- Chapter 5: Double f, l, s, or z at the end of a word, -all
- Chapter 6: -ang, -ing, -ong, -ung, -ank, -ink, -onk, -unk
- Chapter 7: trigraph tch
- Chapter 8: Contractions
- Chapter 9: -oll, -old, -olt, -ost, -ild, -ind
- Chapters 10-14: Review. No new concepts.
Sight words used: These are found in the same sequence as in the Barton Level 3 book.
I, to, was, is, this, do, are, of, the, what, his, has, said, from, they, for, have, goes, Mr., your, want, you, does, were, as, Mrs., some, says, front, who, where, any, one, could, would, been, there, too, many, done, should, again
Here is a link to a Word List of all the words used in the book.
Lexile's Find a Decodable Book has more information such as Lexile measure, words sorted by vowel sound, etc. for The Black Silk Path.
Readers of The Black Silk Path can pick up Totally RAD Phonics Level
C to study along with Ed and Mel. They will see the handwritten notes Ed
and Mel left behind on its pages and can add their own.
Totally RAD Phonics Level C: Ed and Mel’s Exploration of Fluency and Syntax–A Companion to The Black Silk Path is designed to provide additional word, sentence, and connected text reading practice to help improve fluency, syntactic awareness, and comprehension. It includes a full beginning reader chapter book, The Pest at the Black W Ranch, about an abandoned dog who dreams of becoming a pet and having a spot to call his own.
Download a SAMPLE of The Pest at the Black W Ranch
Amazon Look Inside Preview